Not all Vitamins are created alike.
There is a huge misconception that they are.
Most companies follow GMP’s (Good Manufacturing Practices), and this is your assurance that the label is correct and that it has been tested for bioavailability. However, the standards under which a vitamin or mineral is manufactured vary greatly. A manufacturer can create a tablet that looks identical to a quality product, but it is just a replica…and vary dramatically from one another.
Product Weaknesses include
- Low effectiveness due to the use of synthetic ingredients with poor bioavailability.
- Synthetic Vitamin A and Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin) may cause mild toxicity if taken in high doses over long periods of time.
- Missing key ingredients, which are common to higher-quality multivitamins.
.The following are some of the government standards related to vitamin manufacturing:
◦A consumer would assume that a vitamin contains the potency listed on the label: The government states only 90% of the potency listed on the label has to be in a product at the time of shipping.
◦A vitamin starts to lose potency the minute it’s made. If not produced properly, a vitamin can lose up to 50% of its potency by the time you purchase it: There are only minimal guidelines, not requirements, regarding product storage (light, temperature, moisture, etc.), inventory rotation, article granulation or product coating, all of which affect the potency and quality.
◦After a vitamin is made, companies are not required to conduct shelf-life testing to see how the products potency is affected over time.
◦There is no law requiring supplements to be tested during manufacturing. It is not a requirement.
Recently, the New York State attorney general’s office accused four major retailers GNC, Target, Walgreens and Walmart of selling fraudulent and potentially dangerous herbal supplements and demanded that they remove the products from their shelves. They found that four out of five of the products did not contain any of the herbs on their labels.
Even if you think you know what makes one vitamin company and their products stand apart from the rest, we want to refresh your knowledge with this list of Ten Key Steps that one company in particular has taken to ensure that their supplements are the best in the marketplace:
1. Shaklee conducts over 100,000 tests annually to ensure the safety and efficacy of their products.
2. Each and every batch of Shaklee Products is tested to ensure that their products meet their label claim. They guarantee what is on the label is what is in the product – over the entire shelf life of the product.
3. All ingredients in Shaklee products are qualified under the incredibly stringent Shaklee protocol, unique in the industry, which for new botanical ingredients requires testing for up to 350 chemical contaminants, including pesticides, herbicides, heavy metals, solvent residues, etc.
4. Shaklee Scientists create formulations so that the key active ingredients are included at scientifically supported levels, often significantly higher than many companies in the market.
5. Each product is formulated with nutritional ingredients that have been extensively studied to confirm safety and efficacy. Their products do not follow “fads,” but incorporate scientific and/or epidemiologic evidence of need and benefit.
6. Shaklee employs advanced delivery systems designed to dramatically improve the absorption of key nutrients – and these systems are tested in selected products to confirm their nutrient delivery advantages.
7. They have a robust raw material and supplier qualification program which request stringent testing of all raw materials, including comprehensive contaminant testing, which ensures they meet Shaklee’s quality requirements.
8. Shaklee has an unwavering commitment to avoid the use of artificial flavors, sweeteners, and added preservatives. We use only non-genetically modified soy protein.
9. Shaklee developed many of the standards and protocols for manufacturing that are now referred to as Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs).
10. Shaklee product performance is also demonstrated by:
- Over 100 scientific publications, 90-plus in peer-reviewed journals
- The Landmark Study, the only study of its kind, which showed that people who took Shaklee supplements over a period of 20 years had markedly better health than both single-multivitamin and non-users of supplements
- Shaklee products powering athletes to win 188 medals
- Shaklee products fueling world explorers, 7 of Time-Life’s “Greatest Adventures of All Time,” and NASA Shuttle astronauts with a special rehydration product (called Astro-Ade).
Shaklee is all about helping people take control of their future health by virtue of their choices today.